Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Vermont Ice Fishing

My girl friend, Tina "Beaner" Durgin and I did a quick scouting ride, photo shoot and jigging trip today. We didn't set any tipups, but I did set up some anchors for the portable shanty and we played with new and old toys....this was Tina's first icefishing trip and she told me that she would go again:)

Loading sleds...the wood is for semi-permanent anchor points for the portable shanty

There is between 6 to 9 inches of good hard (SAFE) black ice. So, I normally use my hand auger instead of the gas auger. When I set out a big spread of tipups you can bet the gas auger gets fired up.


The Aqua-Vu and Showdown depth finder are both excellent scouting tools for finding panfish.



Learning to jig through the ice is a process like all sports. This was Tina's first outing and I think she has figured it out.

We normally jig for panfish with 24 to 30 inch rods and reels with 2 to 6 lb test line. Species include: Perch, Bluegills, Crappie and Sunfish